Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sheffer Pioneer Cemetery - Greenwood, Nebraska

Sheffer Pioneer Cemetery - Greenwood, Nebraska


Entrance to Sheffer Pioneer Cemetery


SHEFFER CEMETERY
IN MEMORY OF
THE PIONEERS
ESTABLISHED 1860

I originally wrote about my field trip to Sheffer Pioneer Cemetery last month on my LongLostRelatives.net blog. It's rather secluded and you have to know where you're going to find it. Directions are at the bottom of this post.

I'm rather fascinated with this cemetery since it's one of the oldest in the area. Many of the earliest pioneers of Cass and Saunders county are buried here. None of my direct line ancestors are buried here, but several are shirt-tail kin. I believe there are less than 100 interments here and I attempted to photograph as many as I could. The growth was fairly heavy in some areas, so I did not wander through the poison ivy to get to a few of them. Perhaps on another day.




I was intrigued by the picnic grounds adjacent to the cemetery. Descendants of the pioneers still have an annual picnic celebration to honor their ancestors each year. The picnic tables are a permanent fixture at the cemetery.



The Loder Family tombstones

Each of the tombstones that I photographed at Sheffer Pioneer Cemetery will be posted on this Nothing But Tombstones blog in the coming weeks. I have about 70 photographs from this cemetery.


Directions: Sheffer Pioneer Cemetery is located halfway between Greenwood, Nebraska and Ashland, Nebraska. From Highway 6, turn north on 226th Street. Cross the railroad tracks and go about one mile to Country Club Road. The cemetery is located at the end of the minimum maintainance road beyond a private farm residence.

FindAGrave interments

No comments:

Post a Comment