Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Greenwood Memorial Cemetery - Greenwood, Nebraska

Greenwood Memorial Cemetery - Greenwood, Nebraska


Many of my ancestors and other family members are buried at Greenwood Memorial Cemetery, just south of Greenwood, Nebraska. Among my relatives who are buried here include my grandparents, Bill and Sina Kelly; Sina's parents, John and Emma Bellinger; Bill and Sina's first born child, Maxine, who died as an infant; another of Bill and Sina's daughters, my aunt, Helen "Jerry" Dulin; my great great grandparents (Emma's parents), Daniel Landon and Anne Jane McVoy.

Each time I walk through this little cemetery up on the windy hill, I see the names of the people whose lives were intertwined with those of my family. I see many of Bill and Sina's friends; I see names of people my Mom went to school with; and now, I even come across the names of the kids I went to school with during the five years I lived in Greenwood as a youngster. Every time I visit this cemetery, there are more names that are familiar to me. It's marked the final resting place for many of my family for nearly 150 years.

I remember that as a child, I accompanied my mother and Grandpa Kelly to decorate graves every Memorial Day. There were no tombstones for the Kellys and Bellingers at that time. It wasn't until after Grandpa Kelly's death in 1968 that Mom, her brother and sister decided to use what little money was left to put up markers for their parents and the Bellinger grandparents and little Maxine. I'm glad they did because now there are headstones that mark their graves. I still think the day will come that I will be able to place a marker for Aunt Jerry. Somehow, I feel like I owe that to the memory of our family.

As a seven or eight year old, decorating the graves didn't have much meaning for me, but I always tried to not step on a grave. Since my Dad was the commander of the American Legion in Greenwood, we were usually always at the cemetery for Memorial Day services which included the firing of guns and the playing of "Taps." So there are always memories for me whenever I visit.

I think I'm going to have to make a visit there again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment